Search Engine Optimization is the process by which you attract more traffic to your website. A well organized website is critical to getting traffic - but a website alone is not enough to get traffic. Developing a well-visited site requires external links from authoritative sources like Facebook and Google Places.
External Links to Your Site
Many people don't realize how important links are to the way their website is ranked by Google and other. In fact, the single most important component of Google's search ranking is the number and quality of incoming links to your website.
Incoming Links - For example, links from authoritative sources like Mapquest, Yahoo Local, and Yelp are signals to search engines that your business is worth paying attention to. Many sites like the ones just mentioned allow you to post free links back to your site. Make sure your business is listed in as many free directories as possible.
Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites are increasingly important for search engines. It's not enough to simply have accounts on these sites - you need to have activity and followers. Your number of followers and "likes" is a good indicator for search engines of your website's importance. Now you can verify your Pinterest account in your SEO settings. To get here, go to Settings > Website Settings > SEO.
A Well Organized Website
A well-coded website is critical to getting attention from search engines.
- Unique page names – this is the name of the page on the top of your browser. Every page should be different.
- Unique, descriptive URLs - your website URLs should look like flowershop.com/dozen-roses not flowershop.com/123456
- Keywords – built into every page of your website should be a unique, descriptive search engine keywords
- Cross-link sites – if you have multiple websites, put links to all of them in the footer of your websites. Example if you own brooklyn-florist.com and manhattan-florist.com, put the link to the brooklyn site on the manhattan site and vice versa. Make sure your website provider lets you edit your footer text.
- Sitemap – a listing of all the pages on your site in XML format